Blogger Templates

Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Preach Teach Repeat! Throw in a flood and a huge hike too!

Wow sounds like the trip to Oregon was a huge success! Thanks for emailing the pics too, I loved them all!
       This week was a pretty crazy week-- that's for sure. 4th of July was pretty fun (as fun as we can get anyway). We had probably 2 dinners and then a bbq with a less active family. Then that night a less active who lives in our apartments had us come over for a bit as well.
         So we are now in the middle of monsoon season! It rained a ton the other day. Everything was flooded, it was crazy! Describing it cannot do it justice so I will be sure to send some pictures.

         Sunday Elder Weston and I were both asked to speak in sacrament meeting. We showed up ready to talk thinking we would each speak like 10 minutes or so. Well, we found out that there were no youth speakers, so we had to take up the entire time! It turned out great though. Elder Weston spoke on trials and tribulations, and I chose to speak on finding hope through Jesus Christ and the Atonement. It was a way fun topic to study and learn more about. That night we received a phone call from a less active sister in the ward who is going through a nasty divorce and sickness. She went on to explain to us how she felt like for some reason she needed to come to church that day.She then thanked us for our talks and told us what we said was a message from Heavenly Father given through us to her. It touched us both to hear that. That really is what being a missionary is all about. Just a tool in the Lord's hands that he can use however he wants. Boy, I am thankful for this opportunity.
         So P-Day yesterday... Drum roll please... We hiked to the top of the Sandias! Ben, Brittin, you guys rode the tram up last year, Well myself, Elder Weston, Rudy, and Weber decided to one up ya and climb it! It was insane!! Total it probably took us 3 and a half hours to get to the top, but we went off trail a ton and climbed whatever looked cool. It was gnarly though. It was a blast.
We rode the tram down though so we could get back and finish our Pday things we have to get done. If you want to look up the trail on google maps or anything the trail was called La Luz, I think. We hiked to the Cress and then over to the tram. Nobody liked it when I was in the lead or set the pace because they said I hike too fast. I learned that from my man Brady Bingham over the years. I'm positive nobody can cover as much ground as we can!



         So we currently have 5 investigators with a baptism date. We aren't sure how solid most of them will be though. We pray hard and work hard so hopefully they will happen! We tracted into this awesome lady last Sunday (June 1) and then taught her later that week. Her husband passed away in a car crash and he was Mormon but she is not.  He was less active though. She raised the kids by herself with help from the inlaws who are all Mormom, so she knows a little but for some reason has never been too exposed even though she lived in Salt Lake for a long time. Anyway, she is very open to learning and there is a very special spirit in her home that we can feel. Our first lesson with her was great! 
         Oh yeah! Another pro MMA fighter/trainer in our ward who works with Bryan is Travis Marx. He went on a trip to Rirey, Idaho, this week and he wanted me to give him your numbers because he is going to drive right through Preston on his way home. Has he called yet by chance? He's way awesome you would love him and his boys! 
         Well, I am going to try and send some pics here in a bit after I email President Miller. Transfers are next week so Elder Weston and I are hoping we get at least another transfer together. I am glad to hear you at least missed me a little bit on the trip. I think about you all often. I miss this time of year being dirty all the time and working. It's ok though, I guess my hands can get soft for a couple years and my belly can expand :) Love you all!!
                                                        Elder Turnbow
PS We had dinner with a couple the other night who's grandson is serving in Bulgaria! He's wrapping up his mission and has been serving in the office so maybe court knows him. It's Elder David Bennet. Cool to make that connection though. I brag about my sister all the time!

No comments:

Post a Comment