Blogger Templates

Wednesday, December 19, 2012

World Religions Class=Success!

Good afternoon everybody!!
    
      A lot of you asked about the college class that we taught so I will start by giving you the rundown. It was awesome!!!! There were about 30 students or so in the class so it was just about perfect. We started out by asking them how many of them have shut the door in our face, ran away from us, or tried hitting us on our bikes. They got a kick out of that and it really made it so we could be personable with them. We did our power point presentation and showed a couple clips off mormon.org and that took about an hour. It was sweet. After that the teacher asked us about our afterlife beliefs so we used the huge whiteboard that was there and drew out the plan of salvation in detail. It was legit! My doodling skills have advanced from teaching the plan of salvation so many times. They thought that part was super interesting. We then opened the last half hour or so for questions and boy did we get every question a missionary will ever get. Cool part about it though, we could answer every single one. It's amazing how the spirit can draw upon scriptures or things that you have studied in the past. It's a feeling that is indescribable to have a scripture come to mind that maybe you have read once or twice, or words come to you that you aren't sure where they came from. We really had a prayer in our hearts the entire time. We got questions of all kinds. From Priesthood, Resurrection, polygamy, Joseph Smiths King Follet Sermon, Becoming Gods, the trinity, all sorts of stuff. Of course a couple guys came with anti stuff from the internet, but we get that a lot so it wasn't bad at all. Most of the questions were sincere with people really wanting to know.  At the end every student took a copy of the Book of Mormon except one, and she said she already had a copy. A few students wrote down addresses to church buildings and the mormon.org website. It was also fun to be around college students that were our same age. We had planned to not really come right out and bear our testimonies but to just do it briefly as we went along, but towards the end we both somehow ended up bearing our testimonies and it wasn't weird at all. They gave us a big round of applause at the end so that was new but cool too! It was for sure an experience that I will never forget! I hope that somewhere down the road things will happen from it, I really believe that something will. Elder Johnson and I both left feeling really good about it.

Another thing that happened this week is we went up to Taos for exchanges! I love Taos!! There was SNOW up there too! Of course we had ourselves a big snowball fight. There was probably 4 inches on the ground and the mountains up there had a lot. 

Of course we try to find and teach every single day by talking with everybody, and that brings about awesome/crazy/scary/intense stories! 

I got the package you sent! I wanted to open it right when I got it but Elder Johnson said I had to wait for Christmas...grr... The very next day though he got a package from his lady friend and he wanted to open it but I made him eat his words, and I am making him wait til Christmas! Muahahaha

Yes Dad transfers our on the first and I honestly don't know what will happen. I hope I stay one more with Elder Johnson, but by then I would have been here for 4 and a half months so I don't know. Guess we'll see! 

Shout out for my boy Ben!! Congrats on the diploma, you smart fella you. You have always been an amazing example to me. What a good big brotha! 

As for what I want for Christmas... More people to teach!!! And maybe a Polaris Snow Pro in the shed.

Thanks for the emails I enjoy reading them all and I love you all very much. I was also glad to hear Aaron's report went great! I know he was an incredible missionary. Also that he and Stacy are catching up is good to hear. I got a letter from him right before he went home and it was super awesome. I love that kid.  

Ya'll have a good week and enjoy the snow! I will enjoy the sun! It's been a little colder here but still nothing below 32. We are going to play some tennis today for PDay. They all don't know what's coming with my mean backhand!! 

Take care my friends.

Elder Turnbow 

No comments:

Post a Comment