Blogger Templates

Thursday, January 24, 2013

When things like that happen, it makes me want to try even harder!


Hey there!
 
   Sorry it is Thursday and we are just now emailing home, the library was closed on Monday and we have been crazy busy the past couple of days. Monday we went up to Santa Fe for PDay and then went on exchanges with the Espanola Elders, I came back to Rio Rancho and Elder Ashworth went there. Tuesday we went back and then did exchanges with the Santa Fe Elders. This time I stayed in Santa Fe with Elder Eaquinto, my MTC companion!! So not only was I back in my first area, but I was back with my very first companion! It was a blast and a half. Him and his companion white washed in due to some things so they don't know too much about Santa Fe yet and are trying to find people to teach. A lot of the day I took Elder Eaquinto around to people we used to teach there and different people they could work with. I was able to meet up with a few people I used to teach, including David Sullenberger the scientist PhD guy. He is still not baptized, and not progressing too well, but it was fun to see him and we had a good lesson. Hopefully he gets back on it. We went out to eat with Kenny Wilkens while we were there! Oh man, he's doing great! I can't believe how happy it makes me to see him as strong as ever. He is working to go to the temple here in a few months. Mike and Savanna and Laureen and Maureen were all out of town so I was unable to see them, but they are doing well! It was so cool to be back up there and in my old stomping grounds! As we drove down the different streets, I could picture perfectly Elder Willden and I, or Elder Webb, walking the sidewalks and knocking on doors.

Elder Turnbow and MTC companion Elder Eaquinto
Back together for two days in Santa Fe

 
    Mom, you asked about Aiden's baptism date. It is for Feb. 2, but he was out of town last week and unable to make it to church, and they have family coming in this week so he is unsure about this week too. He is still doing really well and excited, but we will probably have to push his date back a little bit. It's fun to teach him; he is as smart as a whip! Speaking of teaching (It's what we do :) ) I had an opportunity to look over the new curriculum for seminary and Sunday school and man, it is almost exactly how we are trained to teach. Teaching like the Savior taught.  Really cool, I wish I had that in Sunday school. Take advantage of it, Fat and Pickle.
 
So now on to Maria because you asked about her too.  While we were on exchanges with Espanola, Elder Humphries and went to teach her and her sister Virginia. We also had Dallin with us who is Dylan's age. She still had lots of questions about the apostasy, trinity, and Eucharist, and evidence of the Book of Mormon, and we were able to handle it well, and I thought we were answering every question clearly and using scriptures, but it wouldn't satisfy her. We finally got to the restoration and I told the Joseph Smith story and did the first vision. As a missionary you get pretty in tune with the spirit and when it is there or not there.  Well, as I recited the first vision slowly, the spirit was definitely there, no doubt at all. I knew she could feel it to by her eye contact and body language. After I finished, Elder Humphries asked her how she felt, and after she gave an answer that didn't describe her feelings, he asked again, just like we are trained to do. What she said I couldn't believe.  She said that she didn't feel anything or have any emotional difference. My heart sunk a little with despair. After that her sister chirped in with a question and we tried to get it back but it wasn't happening.

As we left that lesson I wasn't quite sure what to think, Dallin was fired up! haha He reminded me of me as a new missionary. He said things like "How could she not feel it!?  Man I was feeling it!!" It was one of those times like PMG says that you will be saddened when you know investigators have spiritual experiences but don't accept them. Or something like that. It is a super super tough thing to take. I wanted to say I know you felt it, and I know you are feeling it! I was reminded of Elder Holland's talk the Atonement and the Missionary.  You all know me though, and when things like that happen it makes me want to try even harder. I have a lot of faith in her and her sister, it will happen! Dylan - you should find time to go out teaching with the Elders in your stake, it would be a great experience for you.
 
Frank - Just because I am gone doesn't mean you can get all suicidal on me now! I am glad you are ok buddy. Try to save some fun for me ya? Between tractors, dump trucks, and recreational vehicles, me and you have chalked up quite a few accidents!
 
It sounds like Matt and Dylan are playing well, I love hearing about the games. Thanks for the money to buy some basketball shoes, I will go find a new cheap pair hopefully this coming Monday. Dylan sent me a picture of the last duck/goose hunt of the year, looked like a blast! I am also glad that your class went well Dad, I know you are an amazing teacher. Mom - Good luck with your calling as well! That should be a lot of fun. Train them well!
 
Thanks for all the prayers, and love, it is much needed. Take care now ya'll!
 
Love, Elder Turnbow
 

No comments:

Post a Comment