Blogger Templates

Thursday, January 17, 2013

Work your heart out in a good cause!


Turnbow clan: Howdy!
 
  First, thanks for the emails and updates with everything, the pics of Benson and basketball with Dylan and Matt are always fun to look at. Second... JD MET ELDER BAGLEY!?!?!? OH BABY!!!!!That kid is hands down one of my favorites ever! I worked around him for 6 months! Man that's so cool.  That's crazy how cold it is in Cache Valley, hopefully you all can survive.
   
Well, we had a pretty good week here in Rio Rancho! Aiden who we set a baptism date with last week came to church yesterday! We gave him and his brother white shirts and we taught them how to tie a tie so they were looking good for church. Aiden is 14 and Keonu is 16, Keonu is a member. Aiden is as sharp as a whip; it's really fun to teach him. It's weird that neither of his parents are members, but they are super open to letting them be part of our church. Have you seen Ghost Whisperer? Well, the mom says she does that kind of stuff like talking to spirits and what not. Kinda weird. She's predicted things about me so hey we'll see if they come true! She's a nice lady anyway.
 
We had a cool experience last week while we were on exchanges with the Chamisa Elders. Elder Vial came with me and we were working our area. We had a couple minutes before dinner so we decided to finish tracting a street that Elder Johnson and I had started a couple weeks back. Something happened that doesn't happen very often... The first door we knocked on was awesome! It was a girl named Maria, we got to talking and she knew lots about us. "Don't you guys believe in the Great Apastasy or something?" So right then and there we were like... she's catholic. She already had a Book of Mormon, and had visited mormon.org a few times. She was very interested in the Plan of Salvation as well. After talking on her door step for maybe 15 minutes or so her mom came up and said why don't you just invite them in? Sadly we couldn't go in because there wasn't another male there, but we set a return appointment and went back last night! We took Dallin Brady with us who is a senior in high school and was the star of their football team this year. We go back and Maria's little sister Virginia was there and she and Dallin knew each other from school.  It was perfect. We taught the first few points of the restoration and really went in depth with the apostasy. A lot of the lesson was trying to answer her questions and that is kinda hard sometimes when you don't want to tear down their religion. So finally that's what we told her, and her response was by all means go for it! She is even very active Catholic. The lesson went well and both her and her sister have lots of potential! After answering some questions we just bore testimony and tied it all into the Book of Mormon and invited her to read and pray about it. She said she would sincerely and also said, "If I find out your religion is correct, I will have no problem converting." So cool! I love tracting.
 
Oh ya I was going to tell you last week but I think I forgot.  Our baptism goal for 2012 was 600+, and we got 549. I know that Dad was asking about that on Christmas. It's super cool though because our mission led all the southwest missions in increase from 2011 to 2012. Our goal for 2013 is 710+!  We set that goal last zlc and it was really cool to be there, it is going to happen, and I am excited to be a part of it!
 
Dad you also asked me why I think Elder Ashworth and I are companions at this time. Like you, I do believe every companionship is inspired for one reason or another. For some companions I haven't found that reason out until we weren't comps anymore. With Elder Ashworth,  I have my ideas, but give me a couple more weeks and I'll let ya know! We both just want to work, and It's kind of a competition to see who will work the hardest, and I'm lovin it! Something that I wish every missionary would understand is just how important it is to work!  Even if you aren't very good at the other parts of missionary work, if you work, you will find success.  Speaking of which - One of my favorite quotes is from Vince Lumbardi and it's something about lying exhausted on the field of battle. I had it on my Ffacebook, could you look that up for me please? Thanks!
 
(See the quote on the side of this blog!)

Well, there is much more I could tell you about but I am not the fastest typist, so that will have to do for the week, Love you guys!
 
Elder Turnbow
 

No comments:

Post a Comment