Blogger Templates

Saturday, May 4, 2013

Elder Turnballif...


Dear Loved Ones,

Hello!

Somehow I am still alive. This week was intense. It was the most stressful, overwhelming, crazy, insane, humbling, spiritual, etc,... week of my life.

Monday was arrival day. It was a trip down memory lane to be in the airport picking them up. It took me back for sure! We spent the entire day with them doing different trainings for them. It was a good time! It was a good group of Elders and Sisters. There were 21 total.

Tuesday was the actual transfer day, and it got pretty crazy. We had the big meeting in ABQ and it went well, but as we were driving back to the mission office we got a call from Elder Weston and he told us the transfer van was in a car accident. We have a member drive the big van with missionaries, and it pulls the trailer with all the luggage in it too. A semi ran a red light and thus the accident. Our driver did an awesome job to avoid it mostly but still ended up clipping the semis trailer. Everybody was fine, but the van couldn't be driven. President Miller had just entered the temple with the departing missionaries so we couldn't go to him and ask what to do. So... We said a prayer and went to work. Members in my last area really pulled through, it's an incredible ward. The first three i called were able and willing to help. We got one with a truck to drive the trailer down to Las Cruces, and a family in the ward has a big van just like ours that we were able to borrow and drive down. So me and Elder Ballif took an unexpected trip down to Las Cruces and back up! It was a very exciting day to say the least.

Wednseday morning super early we dropped off all the departing missionaries at the airport. That was weird! It gave me a very empty feeling watching them all walk away. It made me want to cherish every moment even more, and live in the moment. Elder Hanks went home with them and that was sad to see. He helped me stay sane and alive this week. I will miss that kid. He lives in Ephraim UT though so I will see him again!

Yesterday was our first ever Mission Leadership Council! It took the place of zone leader council due to the new sister leadership positions. (Sister Training Leaders) It was a very good meeting. Elder Ballif and I did a training on the role of the Holy Ghost in conversion. Being with all of those missionaries is powerful. They are absolutely amazing. I look up to every single one of them. I think I might have already rubbed off on President Miller a little bit, because he used a deer hunting analogy yesterday ;) Oh ya! haha

So a little bit about our area. We serve in the Nob Hill YSA branch! It covers UNM campus. Oh man it's sweet! I am already having a blast here, it's so cool to teach and work with young single adults! Sometimes it's a little awkward... but it's good. haha The relief society president in our branch starts for the Lobos basketball team. (Just a cool sidenote :) ) The members are sweet, and they are amazing at doing missionary work! My first week here we taught a girl named Desiree. She is so prepared for the gospel it's incredible. We set a baptism date with her for the 18! A recent convert brought his friend to sports night, and then church, and then we taught him that day. His name is Kyle and he is super cool. On Wednesday we had a combined lesson with him, Desiree, and about 4 members from the branch. It was a powerful lesson as we all testified of the atonement. At the end we were able to set a baptism date with Kyle for the 25! Good things are happening! The members are super stoked for the work right now.

Elder Ballif and I are learning and growing together, this week has really made a bond for us. and that bond has a name.... TURNBALLIF!

I will write again on Monday when we get to take a real Pday. I havn't played basketball for the longest time! That is ok though, I didn't come on a mission to play basketball. I have learned and grown so much just in this last week it's crazy. I love it.

Love you all!

Elder Turnballif

No comments:

Post a Comment