Blogger Templates

Wednesday, July 3, 2013

A New Chapter for the Great NMAM!



Last night as the sun set in beautiful New Mexico, it was the last one that President and Sister Miller would see as our mission President and wife. We spent a little of the evening with them reflecting on some things and looking at things to further the work for the mission. It was hard to say goodbye, and it doesn't really seem like they are leaving, but in a couple of hours we will be meeting the new President and Sister Miller and it will be full steam ahead! As we departed the mission home last night all four of us knelt it prayer and President Miller offered a very powerful prayer that was full of love for this mission. Boy, I love that man. Today's sunrise was gorgeous as always, and it opened a new chapter for the great New Mexico Albuquerque mission.


Elder Turnbow, President Miller, Elder Ballif

     
    This weekend was a spiritual feast! As you know we were blessed to have Elders Echo Hawk and Villarreal with us for a couple of days. Talk about two incredible servants of the Lord. Saturday morning they did a special missionary meeting for the northern half of our mission. An hour before the meeting started Elder Ballif and I, along with President and Sister Miller, met with Elder Echo Hawk and his wife, and Elder Villarreal. The first thing that Elder Villarreal asked me was if I had a cousin named Elder Stulce serving a mission? I sure said yes! Turns out him and his wife have him and his companion over for dinner every Wednesday night! So cool! He informed me that he is doing very well, and I wasn't surprised a bit. It was a special privilege to meet with them and talk about the new focus of missionary work. Elder Echo Hawk had me conduct the meeting with all the missionaries and that was a great experience. He asked me if I was a true Idaho farm boy missionary and you know I was excited to say yes! Elder Echo Hawk, his wife, and Elder Villarreal are all converts, and the spirit in that meeting was incredible as they shared their love of missionary work. Elder Echo Hawk baptized sister Echo Hawk at age 19 here in Albuquerque! 
The Northern Half of the NMAM with Elder and Sister Echo Hawk and Elder Villarreal

         Saturday night Elder Echo Hawk did a special fireside for all of the Native Americans. Wow, it was amazing! I love the Native American people, I am so lucky to get to serve among them. Elder Echo Hawk spoke on the prophesies of the Book of Mormon and bore powerful testimony. Holy Smokes some of the things he said about the Native People blew me away, it made me love them that much more. There is a reason why I love teaching the Natives so much. 
          At that fireside I received an unexpected tender mercy. I saw Maureen and Laureen Lomahaptewa, and also the Namingha's from Santa Fe! Maureen was my first baptism on my mission. I was so happy to see them! We were able to talk with them for a bit after the meeting and it just made my heart brim with joy. She is now married, and her husband just joined the church about a month ago! How cool is that!? They are making plans to go to the temple in one year's time.
           We had Jessica come to that fireside with us, and after as she was shaking Elder Echo Hawk's hand, he stared into her eyes and said.. "Tell me something about yourself Jessica," and she responded, "I am going to get baptized!" He then had a really good conversation with her. Boy, he is in tune with the spirit, and it was great for Jessica to have that experience with him. 
          Sunday Morning they did a fireside for all the YSA and that was great too! We were just spoiled this weekend to say the least. I learned so much from them; a lot about priesthood leadership especially. 


After the Fireside



         Well we are super excited to welcome in the new President Miller and his wife today! It is going to be an insane week to say the least. It will be great. We are traveling the mission with him doing some meet the president conferences. Thursday is also our mission leadership council, so we are looking forward to that. We talked with the New President Miller on the phone for about a half hour the other night and I am excited to serve with him! He said he is ready to roll up his sleeves and git to work! - Those are words I like to hear. After all he is from Cache Valley, so he has to be great! I am so lucky to be where I am at this special time.  It is very overwhelming and stressful, but I am learning and growing so much. It's humbling, and I feel like my weaknesses have been revealed more than ever, but that just means I have a clearer vision of what I need to work on. 
     
   I am excited to hear about the fun things from home! It seems like good things are happening. Good luck with all of your adventures this week! 

Love, Elder Turnbow

PS. For the first time ever on my mission I got sick this week. I was up in Espanola on exchanges with Elder Godinez from Mexico and for some reason I started puking my guts out. It wasn't very fun, but sweet Elder Godinez who doesn't speak very good English took great care of me. At noon I thought I was feeling good enough to go out and work but we were out for maybe an hour when I started throwing up again. Hey, at least it was a good ab workout, and I feel like I am one stomach flu away from my goal weight ;) Love you all!


Surprise visit to the Rockwoods this week while passing through Santa Fe!





No comments:

Post a Comment